Just think you are going for a technical interview as a fresher and you knew the exact questions asked by the interviewers, it would be great right? These Python programming interview questions and answers have been designed specially to get you familiar with the interview questions you may expect during your technical interview for the subject of Python Programming Language. Normally, python interview questions for fresher’s start with some basic concept of the subject and are then continued based on further discussion and what you answer. Here, you can get all the Python basic questions and answers that are asked commonly in interviews.
1. What is Python?
Python is a high-level programming language that can be interpreted and object-oriented with dynamic semantics, automatic memory management.
2. What are the advantages of Python?
- Simple and easy to learn
- The syntax used in the python language is easy to understand and readable because it replicates English
- In python, you can short codes for big programs as well
- Python’s source code is easy to maintain
- For beginners, it is a great language to learn
3. What are the features of python?
- Python is interpreted in runtime by the programmer.
- It doesn’t need a compilation process before executing the program.
- Python allows interactive testing and debugging of snippets of code.
- While writing your programs, you can open the interactive terminal that is known as Python prompt and interact with the interpreter directly.
- Python has support for object oriented principles.
- It is a scripting language.
- It is a dynamic language.
- Memory management is very important while writing programs and python supports garbage collection, which is one of the main problems in writing programs using C and C++.
- Python has a huge open source community and that is the main strength of it.
- Python is a cross platform language or portable language.
4. What is Python good for?
Python is a high level programming language that can be used for any kind of problems. It provides a large standard library that as string processing (Unicode, regular expression, differences between files), Internet protocols (POP, IMAP, SMTP, HTTP), software engineering (unit testing, logging, profiling, parsing Python code), and operating system interfaces.
5. Is Python a Scripting Language?
Yes, it is capable of scripting. It is also known as a general purpose programming language.
6. Explain about Floor Division?
The floor division // makes the result to the nearest whole number. Unlike the standard division, the result is not always a float. The result will also be a float when one of the operands is a float.
7. Applications of Python
- Python provides interfaces to all major big data databases.
- It provides libraries to handle internet protocols such as HTML and XML, JSON, Email processing, request, beautifulSoup, Feedparser etc.
- Some other useful toolkits wxWidgets, Kivy, pvqt that are usable on several platforms. The Kivy is popular for writing multitouch applications.
- Python is the most preferable programming language for big data development phase. It is best suited for big data projects.
- Some important library packages Pandas, Numpy, SciPy, Theano, Scikit-learn, etc provide everything that a programmer needs to work on Big data and machine learning projects.
- Python can be used to develop console based applications. IPython is the best example for this.
- Python can also be used to develop 3D CAD Applications and Enterprise Applications.
8. What is a Namespace in python?
A namespace is basically a system to make sure that all the names of each and every object in a Python program are unique and can be used without any conflict. It implements namespaces as dictionaries.
Examples of namespaces:
- Local Namespace
- Global Namespace
- Built in Namespace
9. What are Python modules?
Python modules are files containing Python code. A module can define functions, classes and variables. A module can also include runnable code.
10. Explain about PYTHONPATH
It has a role similar to PATH. This variable helps to locate the module files imported into a program for the Python interpreter. Python source code should present in the Python source library directory. PYTHONPATH is sometimes present by the Python installer.
11. Explain about PYTHONSTARTUP
PYTHONSTARTUP contains the path of an initialization file along with Python source code. When you start the interpreter it is executed every time. It is saved as .pythonrc.py in Unix and it consists of commands that tell Utilities or modify PYTHONPATH.
12. Explain about PYTHONHOME
It is an alternative module search path. To make switching module libraries easy it is usually embedded in the PYTONSTARTUP or PYTHONPATH directories.
13. Is Python a case sensitive language?
Yes! Python is a case sensitive programming language.
14. What are the supported data types in Python?
15. What are Python dictionaries?
Python dictionaries are a kind of hash table type. It is similar to arrays or hashes present in Perl and consist of key value pairs. A dictionary key can be any Python type, but they are mostly numbers or strings.
16. How will you remove all leading whitespace in the string?
Istrip – Removes all leading whitespace in string.
17. How will you convert a single character to its integer value in Python?
ord() – Converts a single character to its integer value.
18. How will you check in a string that all characters are alphanumeric?
isalnum() – Returns true if the string has at least 1 character and all characters are alphanumeric and false otherwise.
19. What is the output of [1, 2, 3] + [4, 5, 6]?
Output: [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6].