How to become an Archaeologist in India? How to make a career in Archeology? These are the questions in a student’s mind who want to pursue Archaeology. Many universities in India offer Archaeology courses. Most of the universities in India that have an Archaeology department offer this subject at the post-graduation level.
The first step here is to achieve a graduate grade degree to serve as an archaeologist in India. You can have a bachelor’s degree in any stream. However, it is desirable to have a bachelor’s degree in History, Sociology, or Anthropology for a better perception of archaeology theories. Further, it is advisable to survey with the concerned university what all bachelor’s degrees are favorable for taking up a postgraduate course in archaeology.
This article has added the best Archeology colleges in India with Archeology courses in India offered by them. We have also added the salary of an archaeologist in India for different types of jobs. Read this article further to know how to become an Archaeologist in India.
Best Archeology colleges in India
There are many good colleges for archaeology in India, out of which we have compiled a list of 11 best Archeology colleges in India.
- DAV Post Graduate College. (Varanasi)
- Gurukula Kangri Vishwavidyalaya (Haridwar)
- Lucknow Christian Degree College(Lucknow)
- St Xavier’s College(Mumbai)
- Kalaguru Bishnu Rava College
- Maharshi Sri Aurobindo College(Rajkot)
- Deccan college postgraduate and research center (Pune)
- Maharaja Sayajirao University (Baroda)
- Banaras Hindu University (Benaras)
- Institute of Archaeology (Delhi)
- University of Madras (Chennai)
These are the best Archeology colleges in India. There are different requirements for admission in these colleges, which you can check on their official website.
Archeology courses in India
There are various Archeology courses in India. According to different classes, a person can get a different type of jobs in this filed. Different types of Archeology courses in India are as follows.
- Certificate Course in Epigraphy (1 year, Certificate Course)
- Advanced Diploma in Epigraphy(1 year, Diploma Course)
- B.A. in Culture and Archaeology (3 years, Undergraduate degree)
- B.A. in Ancient Indian History and Archaeology. (3 years, Undergraduate degree)
- M.A. in History and Archaeology. (2 years, Postgraduate degree)
- M.A. in Archaeology. ( 2 years, Postgraduate degree)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Archaeology. (1 year, Postgraduate Diploma)
These are the different Archeology courses in India for which a person can apply in various universities.
Salary of an Archaeologist in India
Well, the salary of an Archaeologist in India depends on work experience and the post he is assigned.
- A fresher Archaeologist generally gets a salary between INR 2.5 to 3.5 lakhs per year. At the same time, experienced and well-qualified professionals archaeologists can expect salary packages between INR 5 to 8 lakhs per annum.
- The Documentation Specialist receives a salary initially INR 2,60,000 per annum and INR 5,00,000 as senior Officer.
- The Palaeontologist receives INR 3,50,000 at the start of his career and INR 10,00,000 when he achieves seniority.
- The Assistant Archaeologist gets INR 2,00,000 initially and INR 6,00,000 as senior level.
- The Museum/ Gallery Officer or Curator receives INR1,50,000 initially and INR 5,00,000 when he achieves seniority.
Overall the salary of an archaeologist in India is above than average pay scale in India for any post.
A career in Archeology
Now you know how to become an Archaeologist in India, let us tell you the career scope. Most of the employment opportunities for a career in Archeology are available in the government sector. Although there are many opportunities, even in other countries for a career in Archeology. The following are top government organizations in India that recruit archaeologists:
- (ASI) The Archaeological Survey of India is the fundamental recruiter of all the archaeologists at both the state as well as the central level. A job can be easily secured by the students with 45% marks by clearing the (SPSC) State Public Service Commission exam or the (UPSC) Union Public Service Commission examination.
- If a student possess a degree of post-graduation in Archaeology, he/she can easily apply for the job of professors or the lecturers in different colleges/universities. However (NET) National Eligibility Test is a test in which you have to qualify to apply for a professor’s job.
So I think you got the answers to how to become an Archaeologist in India? A career in Archeology is a great choice; you could easily achieve success in this filed if you focus on making a career in Archeology. There are various Archeology Courses in India; you can follow those. The salary for Archaeologists is also good. You can earn right in this field as the salary of an archaeologist in India is good. Moreover, your desire to explore the world will also be fulfilled.